Monday, July 30, 2012

Fujiyama's Fantastic Eggplants and Sushi for Those Who Can't Eat Raw Fish

I am a huge lover of "mushy" vegetables. Among my absolute favorites are kabocha squash (more commonly known as butternut squash in the US) and eggplants, both of which I can get a most Japanese restaurants. On my solo trip to Fujiyama, a small Japanese restaurant in Yorkville, I ordered the Miso Eggplant ($6) without much reservation.
It took about 15 minute for my eggplants to arrive. I was slightly surprised by what I got on the plate: two huge slices of grilled eggplants with thick miso paste sauce on top.
Though the presentation was nothing delicate like you would expect at a Japanese restaurant, I couldn't wait to take a bite of the eggplant. The eggplant was mushy enough to cut with a fork, but I still used knife as well to avoid making any mess.
Wow, the taste of the eggplant was beyond expectation! It was grilled so well on the outside without losing the juice. The miso sauce was slightly too sweet and salty, but I used some of it to accompany my roll. I would seriously come to Fujiyama just to order this eggplant dish. It was phenomenal.
For my main course, I ordered one of the Specialty Rolls, Aurora Rolls ($15). I chose the most expensive menu on the item because I came here on Tuesday (?) during which the restaurant offers a special deal of $12 for all Sushi rolls.
The Aurora Rolls had steam lobster, shrimp, avocado, sundried tomato, mango, cucumber and cilantro inside. It was wrapped with pink soy paper.
Granted that I couldn't really tell the difference between shrimp and lobster, I was nonetheless pleasantly surprised by the amount of lobster in the roll!
The scent from the cilantro added a nice taste to the sushi. I also liked the addition of sundried tomato and mango! The duality between sweet and savory always works magic :)
The soy paper didn't have any flavor or taste...It's basically for people who don't like seaweed, but you still need something to wrap everything and that's where the soy paper comes in to play.
After I finished my meal, I realized I had consumed nothing raw...is that truly possible at a Japanese restaurant? Essentially, Aurora Rolls is a great entree for those who can't really eat "real" sushi ;)
Fujiyama on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment