Saturday, November 3, 2012

Crabmeat Soup Dumplings at Joe's Shanghai in Midtown NYC


While spending the summer in New York City, my roommate and I ventured into the city quite often to sample its diverse ethnic cuisine. One of my favorite places was Joe's Shanghai, a popular Chinese restaurant that has opened a total of three chains throughout NYC since opening its door in Chinatown.


Joe's Shanghai is popular for its soup dumplings. For light lunch, we decided to share a serving of crab meat soup dumplings. We were considering going to the original, Chinatown location, but since we were already in midtown, we decided to go to the closer location on 56th St. and also to save taxi fare.


I sort of wished we had gone to the original location because I don't think the dumplings tasted as good. Further, we only got 6 dumplings, as opposed to 8, and paid more for it at midtown than at the Chinatown location!


Eating soup dumpling is an acquired skill. You first have to bite into the outer layer to make a small hole so that you don't burn your mouth. Once the juice seeps out on to the spoon, you can drink it and bite into the crab meat interior.


The peel was a bit thicker than I would have liked. I thought the crabmeat dumpling had nice seafood flavor, though I would have appreciate richer taste.


The dumplings weren't super greasy. I wonder the proportion of meat vs crabmeat vs shit...Haha

Joe's Shanghai on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment