Monday, September 10, 2012

Colorful Vegetable Frittatas and Pistachio Meringue at Tatte


Kendall Square is home to a couple vintage coffee shops and bakery, including Tatte Bakery & Cafe. I don't have a huge appetite for baked goods (or at least I try to resist them), but I decided to check out Tatte because I heard the cafe also has a great lunch menu. Tatte offers an outdoor dining option, which is perfect for the sunny days in the summer.


I got this picture from Tatte's blog, but when I got there around 12:30pm, the place was completely packed that we actually had to wait for a couple minutes to find a place to sit down for two people. The bakery had an extensive display of cookies, pastries, and other sweets in addition to a full lunch menu that includes sandwiches, salad, and plates.


My friend and I decided to have dessert first. We ordered two Pistachio Meringues, which were served on a china plate with flowers. Perfect for a tea party?


Each meringue was about the size of a fist. It was sprinkled with toasted pistachio. The meringue itself didn't taste like pistachio, so I am guessing it was just a plain vanilla one. The meringue was crispy and light.



We were about half way through our meringue when the waiter brought our orders. My friend's Balkani ($8) is a roasted eggplant, feta, fresh basil, tomato, and pesto sandwich served on Ciabatta bread.



The sandwich was served on a wooden cutting board, which gave off the aura of freshness. The square-shaped Ciabatta bread seemed pretty dense. It was served as an open sandwich, with one side of the bread smothered with pesto and the other topped with basil and feta cheese.



I had Vegetable Frittata ($13), a colorful assortment of housemade vegetable frittatas served with creamy yogurt sauce and fresh cucumbers. The three vegetables were sweet potato, zucchini, and cauliflower.


I was afraid the dish might be too heavy for lunch, but the frittatas were super light and fluffy! I loved the slightly mushy texture of them. Each frittata also had a distinct taste of its respective vegetable. I think my favorite was the sweet potato. The only downside about the dish was that the frittatas were topped with large chunks of sea salt that made the flavors too strong.

  Tatte Fine Cookies & Cakes on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment