Friday, March 9, 2012

Brittle French Macarons From L.A. Burdick

Valentine's Day is a day of romanticism, affectionate feelings, and sweets. But for a single person like me, it's also a Singe Awareness Day--a SAD day indeed.
On the morning of Valentine's Day, I received a text message from a friend saying that she has to meet up with me today. I had a day full of classes and meetings, but managed to finally see her for five minutes at 10 p.m. Aren't we all busy Harvard students?
She (yes, it's a she. No romantic feelings there hehe) handed me a little box from L.A. Burdick, a sweet shop famous for its chocolate, hot chocolate, pastries, and other confectionary. When I opened the box, I saw another hidden object...I wonder what it is.
Tada! Peeking inside the orange wrappers were three different flavors of French Macaron.
French macarons are sweet meringue-based confectioneries made with egg whites, icing sugar, granulated sugar, almond powder or ground almond, and food coloring.
The three flavors were, clockwise from top, cofffee, chocolate, and mysterious flavor that I never figured out what it was.
The macaron is commonly filled with buttercream or jam filling sandwiched between two cookies. This is the coffee flavor with coffee bean fillings.
Chocolate cream sandwiched between light, fluffy chocolate cookies.
The mysterious flavor...It got a little crack in the bottom. That's how fragile these cookies are.
I ate it Oreo-style: Dividing up the cookies, eating the top cookies, and then the bottom layer.
Perhaps because I had the macaron a day after, the texture of the cookies were not as chewy as I had expected. Neither the cookies nor the cream was too sweet.
The chocolate macaron in its pristine state.
Well...sort of except for that little crack and some chocolate cream oozing out from the side!
Split in half. I microwaved it for 10 seconds because the cookies had gotten too hard.
The chocolate cream slightly melted and was absorbed by the cookies.
The macaron tasted much better after I put it in the microwave. When I took a bite of it, both the creamy inside and the chewy layer outside infused in my mouth.
The coffee macaron cracked into an unrecognizable state. Haha.
These cookies are so brittle if you don't eat them right away.
Thank you my Valentine for the wonderful treat!
L.A. Burdick on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment